Internship/Externship Information

Clinical Externship (HES 310) and Clinical Internship (HES 311)

Although no clinical experiences are required for the HES major, students may choose to participate for academic credit or as a volunteer. Externships or internships can be a valuable experience and are frequently necessary for application to many professional and graduate programs. For example, many Physician Assistant programs require 1000-2000 hours of clinical work. Other programs, such as Physical Therapy, highly recommend garnering experiences in a variety of Physical Therapy environments. Therefore, the HES department encourages HES students to participate in an internship or work position during their undergraduate career at Wake Forest University.

HES 310 provides academic credit for qualified clinical externships. An externship requires the student to garner experiences in a health area related to their chosen profession of interest by working with a student-selected mentor outside of the HES department. There are many opportunities for HES 310 clinical externships around the Winston-Salem area, including working/observing at the Wake Forest University Medical Center/Baptist Hospital, Forsyth Hospital, and at various clinics throughout the region for an internship or paid position. This may include internships in medical clinics, working with physicians, physical therapists, occupational therapists, physician assistants, and other allied health professionals. Working as a student trainer may qualify as an experience. In addition, employment at the corporate level in the fitness setting or in health education and public health fields may provide valuable insight into career direction. You may also find it helpful and necessary to work during the summer outside of the Wake Forest University area in order to accumulate the necessary experience.

A clinical internship (HES 311) differs in that the student is mentored by faculty within the HES department, such as part of a clinical research project or the community outreach program, HELPS. You may contact HES professors directly to inquire about potential HES 311 opportunities.

In order to receive academic credit for either 310 or 311, students must get their planned experience approved prior to registering for the class. Further instruction, including application and travel authorization forms can be found at:

Each course may only be taken one time for up to 2.0 credit hours and a pass/fail grade. To pass the course, students need to complete 45 (1 credit) or 90 (2 credits) hours of hands-on experience during the semester of enrollment (or summer term), submit a log of hours worked, and write a 4-5 page paper on the experiences. For more information, please contact Dr. Beavers (