HES Sophomore Major Declaration & Information
Declaring an HES Major
How do I declare HES as my major?
The Department of HES follows the University guidelines for declaring a major. They are as follows:
The majority of students declare their major during the second semester of their sophomore year. In order to declare a major at this time, a student must have earned at least 40+ hours of academic credit. A student may declare HES as their major earlier than the second semester of their sophomore year if they have completed 55 hours of credit. During each spring semester, the Health and Exercise Science Department will hold an informational meeting for all interested sophomores. This typically occurs by the 2nd or 3rd week of February. If you are interested in declaring HES as your major and you meet the requirements, you should attend this meeting. Contact Dr. Gary Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on dates and time of this meeting.
What courses do I take during my first 2 years?
To be admitted into the major, the only courses which you should have taken are HES 100 and HES 101 which are both required for all students at Wake Forest University. However, before you can take HES 350 Human Physiology, you will need to have completed Biology 111 or Biology 114 (preferred) or Biology 213. For many career paths, additional sciences are required, such as chemistry, physics, or other biology courses. Please visit the Pre-Health Professions website at http://college.wfu.edu/prehealth/ for further information on courses for specific career paths.
All freshmen should be working to complete their basic and divisional requirements. However, if you are interested in further education after your undergraduate degree, you should work to satisfy additional requirements for these programs. Please see the information provided on the Career Information Page.
How do I change my major to HES?
If you have already declared a different major, but would like to change to Health and Exercise Science, you will need to follow these steps:
- Obtain a "Change of Major" form from the Registrar's Office or on WIN
- Take the form to the departmental office of your old major and ask your advisor to sign it
- Bring the "Change of Major" form to Dr. Miller in Reynolds Gym Room 315 for his signature
- Return the completed "Change of Major" form to the Registrar's Office
How do I drop my HES major and change to a different major?
If you have declared HES as your major, but would like to change to something else, you will need to follow these steps:
- Obtain a "Change of Major" form from the Registrar
- Take the form to your HES advisor or to Dr. Miller in Reynolds Gym Room 315 to have it signed
- Take the completed Change of Major form to your new major and ask them for further instructions
What do I do if I am a transfer student?
If you have transferred to Wake Forest University, have completed 55 hours so that you are able to declare a major, and would like to declare Health and Exercise Science as your major, you will need to follow these steps:
- Obtain a "Declaration of Major" form from the Registrar' Office
- Bring the completed "Declaration of Major" form to Dr. Miller in Reynolds Gym Room 315 for his signature
- Take the signed "Declaration of Major" form back to the Registrar's Office
Additionally, you will need to closely examine the student record of classes to ensure that you will be able to finish all required course work prior to your intended date of graduation.
How am I assigned an advisor?
An advisor will be assigned to you once you have officially declared HES as your major. An attempt will be made to match you with an advisor who best fits your interests and the career which you have listed on your application as your career of interest.